Here is how to recover Btrfs file system data
In this article you will find out:
- about Btrfs file system data recovery
- how to recover Btrfs file system data
Are you ready? Let's read!
Btrfs file system
Btrfs is a Linux file system based on B-tree structures in 2007. Btrfs is widely used in modern NETGEAR devices and has several distinguishing features: snapshot, copy-on-write, and built-in compression.
Let's dwell on the advantages of this file system:
1. Increasing the availability of your data and disk fault tolerance by mirroring metadata. Btrfs always keeps two copies of the metadata on the volume and if the hard drive is damaged, you can recover the data you need from the damaged disk.
2. Btrfs allows you to restore files in an automatic mode, again, by mirroring the metadata. The Btrfs filesystem checks the checksums every time it is read and if any mismatch is found. And then it can automatically detect and recover corrupted files when needed using the supported RAID volumes, namely RAID 1, 5, 6, F1,10, SHR.
3. Built-in snapshot function allows you to create copies of all shared folders at a specific point in time. It provides additional protection and security for your data, while the accumulated snapshots do not degrade system performance.
4. There is also a scheduled data backup function, it also does not affect the performance of the computer.
5. This file system can be used in testing website and database updates due to the cloning function of shared folders.
6. Btrfs offers more efficient Disk storage. Because the file system does not require twice as much space to store multiple versions of files on Disk. Before starting the backup, a snapshot is created, and then the data from the saved snapshot is copied to the destination backup folder without any file modification.
7. When multiple groups or departments store files on one Synology NAS, it can more conveniently and efficiently manage the available storage space.
Symptoms of BTRFS File system Failure
To quickly identify a BTRFS file system failure, you should be aware of the common symptoms:
- you cannot access a volume or shared folders,
- inability to read certain files,
- you see the volume and shared folders, but you cannot access data,
- some files from the NAS do not start to start or become inaccessible,
- crashes when copying a file to the NAS when there is enough free space.
You need to deal with Btrfs file system problems as soon as possible, as it is possible to lose valuable information on the disk.
RAID data safety
Although Btrfs has additional features (checksums and snapshots) to help avoid data loss, it can still fail. In addition, Btrfs supports the use of RAID5 and RAID6. This means that you are dealing with three or more arrayed disks that are implemented at the block level, not at the device level.
This is why most of the users currently use independent RAID arrays over the Btrfs disk set. Due to the specifics of arrays (data distribution using mirroring, parity), traditional approaches to RAID5 and RAID6 recovery do not work.
In addition, if there is no metadata about the location of the block, it is impossible to restore files and folders in the Btrfs file system. In this case, you will receive the names and attributes of some files and folders, but not their contents.
In general, there are not many Btrfs file system recovery tools that support Btrfs RAID5 and RAID6 volumes. DiskInternals RAID Recovery is one of the few professional applications capable of recovering Btrfs, including RAID5 and RAID6 volumes.
Therefore, if you cannot access data stored on a Btrfs volume and you need a real tool that reads Btrfs - try DiskInternals RAID Recovery. Before starting the program, you need to separately connect all the disks from the failed Btrfs volume to the computer in the correct order and only then proceed with the recovery.
In addition, with DiskInternals RAID Recovery, you can correct the system structures of individual disks and RAID arrays, as well as automatically detect the exact RAID type and configuration. You can download the trial version of the application for free and recover the required Btrfs volume for free.
After you test the application live and view the results, you are confident that a license purchase will be necessary. You will be able to export a previously unavailable array to another storage device and benefit from DiskInternals technical support.