SD card corrupted? Recover it!
An SD card is an integral thing in a person's life. You keep a huge amount of information on it. It contains photos of happy moments in life, videos, various documents and files for work or school and many other forms of data. However, anyone can face the problem of a corrupted SD card. Then, you cannot retrieve any data and it seems that it is lost forever. Most likely, you do not have a backup. It is detrimental, even a disaster.
How to recover corrupted SD card in that case?
Is your SD card corrupted?
The following symptoms of corrupted SD cards are:
- The memory card cannot be read or is not recognized by the device (computer / phone).
- Some photos, videos or documents on your SD cards are missing or were opened incorrectly.
- You can see the SD card files in a computer or smartphone, but the data cannot be copied; the error message “disk is write-protected” is displayed on the screen.
- When performing any actions with a SD card, the following notifications appear on the computer screen: “Memory card error” or “damaged memory card”, “SD card is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?”,“SD card is not available. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
- You cannot add, delete, copy or save any files on your SD card.
5 real ways to repair a corrupted SD cardA deep breath
It is not a joke. That is a simple and workable method. All you need to do is make a big inhale and try to blow out any dust from the SD card or the computer’s slot.
It is not a rare, that computer's slot are dusted and that can be a real reason, why your SD card isn't connected properly.Another PC
Another common problem is incompatibility with your computer. Try to connect the SD card to another computer. Perhaps this method will help you.Driver Reinstallation
Sometimes your drivers get damaged and your computer cannot read the SD card. Read below to learn how to reinstall the drivers.
Select My Computer, then "Manage" -> "Device Manager" -> Disk Drive. Click the name of your drive.
Click "Uninstall", then "OK".
Unplug your storage media and restart your computer. Reconnect the SD card. The problem should be solved.Corrupted SD card recovery using Windows Explorer
Open My Computer.
Right-click on the damaged disk, then click "Format".
Next, right-click "Restore device settings." Then click "Start." Disk formatting will begin. You can choose fast formatting or, if you have the time, full. After a few minutes, corrupted SD card repair will happen. Pay attention: this method will repair your SD card, but will not bring back your files!Corrupted SD card recovery using the command line
Corrupted SD card recovery through the command line is a very painstaking job. You need to be well-versed in system administration; and pay attention, that method will fix your corrupted SD card, but it will eraser all data.
Follow the step-by-step instructions:
1. Click the “Start” button.
2. In the search field, enter “Command Prompt”. You will see the Command Promt window.
3. Type diskpart. Press Enter.
4. Type list disk. Press Enter. All storage devices, connected to your computer will appear as a list.
5. Type select disk (your disk number). Press Enter. Enter the number carefully, otherwise you can format the internal hard disk. (For example, your if SD card is №3, then you type select disk 3)
6. Type clean. Press Enter.
7. Type create partition primary. Press Enter.
8. Type active.
9. Type select partition 1.
10. Enter the format fs=fat32. Press Enter. This procedure lasts a few minutes. Do not close the window before completing the job. Again: this method will repair your SD card, but will not bring back your files!
If none of these methods are good for you, don’t be upset. There is still a chance to recover files from a corrupted SD card. To do this, there are special software tools for corrupted SD card recovery. One of the best is DiskInternals Uneraser.
DiskInternals Uneraser for a corrupted SD card
DiskInternals Uneraser software works with corrupted SD card recovery, so you can get back all your important files without difficulty. The program has a nice and simple interface, understandable even for technically non-advanced users. You can use the trial version to make sure that all your data can be recovered. The program is equipped with a deep scan function to search for lost files from a corrupted SD card. Follow the step-by-step instructions that are described below, and you will know how to repair a corrupted SD card. In order to recover files from a corrupted SD card, you need to remember: as soon as you notice that the SD card is corrupted, stop using it to protect it from overwriting. In addition, to recover data from an SD card, the SD card must be “recognized” by the computer.
Manual on how to repair a corrupted SD card
- Step 1. Install DiskInternals Uneraser software.
- Step 2. Insert the SD card in the card reader. DiskInternals Uneraser will automatically suggest you choose a drive. Select the memory card.
- Step 3. Scan the SD card. Click “Scan”. This procedure will take some time.
- Step 4. Preview.
- View all lost files from the corrupted SD card. Select the document you want to preview (it can be a text file, picture, video, etc). Right-click “Preview”.
- Step 5. Save files. Select files you need and click the "Recovery" button. In order to save the recovered data, you need to purchase a license for DiskInternals Uneraser and obtain a license key. Then click on “Save”. Keep your documents in a safe place.
Don’t save your files on the corrupted SD card that you worked on.
As you can see, it is easy to recover files from a corrupted SD card. You just need to choose the right software for corrupted SD card recovery. DiskInternals Uneraser perfectly does this task.