How to recover deleted files from memory card using cmd
Here you will find out:
- how to recover an SD card using CMD
- what issues may happen with CMD
- when DiskInternals can help you
Are you ready? Let's read!
Recover an SD card using CMD — is that possible?
Well, more “yes” than “no”. With the Attrib command, you can “recover” your files.
But this mainly works with hidden files, not deleted ones. In any case, it's worth a try. In general, cmd (or the Command Prompt in Windows) is quite versatile; if you know certain commands, you can solve a lot of problems on the computer. The same goes for SD cards; you can recover an SD card using CMD.
You only need to know good commands (in this case Attrib is great) and a few nuances when working with it.
How to recover deleted files from a memory card using CMD
Often, when you cannot find a file on a disk but are sure that you did not delete it and did not format the disk, the file may be simply hidden. To verify this and make it visible, use the command line. It will be better if you log into it as an administrator so that the system does not ask you unnecessary questions.
This can be done using the Start button.
Right-click on it and select "Command Prompt - Run as Administrator". Then the utility should start.
Now enter the command: "attrib -h -r -s /s /d d:\*.*". After that, press Enter.
All entered letters remove all protected attributes for the SD card. After you have entered the command, click OK or press Enter. Then, after completing the procedure, restart the computer and open the SD card again; you should see previously hidden folders and files.
How to skip issues with CMD
A problem you may encounter is access being denied.
This is due to the fact that the computer thinks that you do not have enough authority for this procedure. To fix this, check the following:
- Make sure that you are logged into the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Make sure that all programs on the computer are closed during the procedure. For complete confidence, you can enter the computer in safe mode.
- Make sure that you have received all the permissions on this computer (this can be seen in Explorer on the Security tab).
After that, you can try again to recover files from an SD card using CMD.
What if I see .chk files only?
.chk files are essentially corrupted files created as a result of improper use of the SD card.
Unfortunately, you cannot recover files from the SD card using cmd in this case. But, this does not mean that everything is lost; you can use the following method, which will cope with this deplorable situation.
A proven way to restore data from memory card
DiskInternals Uneraser software will recover data of any format on the SD card.
The application runs on Windows and supports all its versions. You only need to decide on a specific version of the program: licensed or free trial. When you choose the trial version, you won’t lose anything because the Preview function is free. Then, in order to save the files found, just buy a license, and immediately after payment you will receive a license key and can save your files to any other medium.
Here is a small user guide for Uneraser.
- After the welcome window, Recovery Wizard will start automatically.
- Now, select your SD card from the list (thus, it must be connected to the computer).
- Click on Next button and scanning will starts. Wait for the finish of the scanning. All previously deleted files will be visible in front of you and marked with a red cross. Preview any of them using the right-click of the mouse (it's still free).
- Then you acquire a license and complete the export, also thanks to the Wizard.