How you can recover deleted Skype messages
Here you will find out:
- why your Skype messages get deleted
- how to recover them
- how DiskInternals can help you
Are you ready? Let's read!
If your Skype messages are deleted
Everything you do on a computer is recorded in one folder or another, and you probably don't know where they are. Even when you delete stuff from the Recycle Bin, it doesn’t just disappear; you can still recover them because they're hiding out at someplace in your hard disk. So, if your Skype messages are deleted, you can still recover them following these tips.
Reasons why your Skype messages get deleted
This can happen accidentally, as a result of a software crash. Or the deletion could be due Skype not responding or Windows not responding. Quite a few things can cause this issue to occur, but that doesn’t matter – let’s look at how to fix it.
How to recover deleted Skype messages
Method 1: Use previous versions
You can find your Skype chat history in a particular folder on Windows, and if you restore the previous version of Skype from this folder, you may recover deleted Skype messages.
- Open Windows File Explorer and click on “This PC” or “My Computer” (depending on your Windows version).
- Go to Users >>> YourUserName >>> AppData >>> Roaming >>> Skype >>> YourSkypeUsername
- Now right-click on the folder saved with your Skype username and click on “Properties”.
- Toggle to “Previous Versions”.
- Select an older version (use the dates to detect) and restore that old version.
NB: you may have to enable “Show hidden files” to be able to see the AppData folder because it is hidden by default.
Method 2: Try to use different software
Using a third-party app called SkypeLogView or Skyperious, you can also fix this problem. What this app does is quite simple: it grants you access to view Skype’s database files, from which you can restore your messages.
- Download and install either of the aforementioned apps.
- Open the app and also open the “main.db” file. However, the “main.db” file is saved in this directory: C:\Users\YourWindowsUsername\AppData\Roaming\Skype\YourSkypeUsername\main
- Using the in-app browser on the app, you can search for the deleted messages inside the “main.db” file.
NB: the “main.db” file also contains the messages that have not been deleted from Skype, so handle with care.
Method 3: Recover deleted messages with DiskInternals Uneraser
What happens when you can't find the Skype folder from the AppData directory? Maybe it was deleted. That's quite sad, because if the folder is lost, you can't recover your deleted Skype messages. But there's a solution: DiskInternals Uneraser.
DiskInternals Uneraser is an intuitive software app that helps you to recover lost or deleted files and folders from your computer or any external storage device. Using DiskInternals Uneraser, you can restore the AppData folder or the Skype folder, and then follow the steps above to recover deleted Skype messages
DiskInternals Uneraser has a free version and a licensed version. With the free version, you can scan and preview deleted files/folders, but you cannot recover them. In order to recover lost/deleted files and folders using DiskInternals Uneraser, you need to upgrade to the paid version.