Guide on How to Fix Speakers Failed to Play Test Tone in Windows 10
In this article you will find out:
- how to deal with this issue
- how to protect your data
Are you ready? Let's read!
About This Issue
When using Windows 10, despite the fact that it is one of the most advanced Microsoft products, errors nevertheless occur. Let's analyze the appearance of the message Speakers Failed to Play Test Tone Windows 10 today and determine possible ways to fix the error. The key ways to get rid of such an error are to update the version of Windows 10, adjust the speaker parameters, or transfer to the default driver settings.
Let’s Deal With it!
1. Adjust Preferences
First, try changing the speaker settings. According to some reports, it is known that when new patches for updating Windows 10 are released, the speaker settings of a PC or laptop are changed to Quadraphonic. This is determined by how your operating system detects external audio devices connected to the device. To solve such a problem when using a 5.1 speaker system, follow this simple method. Open the speaker parameters and change them from Quadraphonic to 5.1. As soon as you confirm your choice by clicking on Apply, you will most likely be able to play the test sound.
Another way to fix the Failed to Play Test Tone Error is to change the audio format. This will take time as you will need to apply different audio formats before finding the right one.
- Right click on the Volume icon menu on the taskbar and go to Playback Devices.
- In the Sound menu, check that your speakers or headphones are set as default devices. If this is not the case, do it by clicking on the desired device and clicking on Set as Default Device.
- Click on the audio device and go to Properties and then Advanced.
- In the Default Format subsection, you need to select a different audio format.
- Click on the Apply and Ok tab for the changes to take effect.
If this method does not work for you, try clicking on the Restore Defaults tab to return to the original settings.
Disabling all audio enhancements should also be considered as a remedy. Generally, you can achieve better sound with most sound cards. But because of such improvements, disruptions in the normal operation of the OS can occur and lead to an error. Therefore, disable enhancements and the problem should go away.
- First, open the Speaker property according to the instructions above.
- Find the Enhancements tab and tick the Disable All Enhancements checkbox.
- Click on the Apply and Ok tab and check if the error is resolved. In addition to the reasons listed above, the Failed to Play Test Tone Windows 10 error can occur due to changing the sound settings and switching it to exclusive mode. Let's see how to disable exclusive mode.
- Go to Sound Properties.
- Click on Advanced in the Exclusive Mode menu.
- Here you need to disable the Allow Applications to Gain Exclusive Control Over This Device setting.
- Click on Apply and Ok for the changes to take effect.
2. Work With Drivers
Often, the Windows Failed to Play Test Tone error message is hidden in the drivers. Switching to default drivers will help solve the problem here.
- Find your Audio Driver in the Device Manager menu.
- Then right-click on the driver name and go to the Delete value. Be sure to check the box Uninstall the Driver Software for This Device and confirm the action by clicking Uninstall.
- Once you have completed the previous steps, click on Search for New Equipment. The default driver will be automatically installed.
The Windows 10 operating system is configured to automatically update drivers, but it will not be superfluous to check for drivers manually. Thus, you will find out if there are important files in your operating system.
- Right-click the Microsoft icon on the taskbar and select Device Manager.
- Navigate to the device you want to update and click on it.
- Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software, and then Update Driver Software.
In the event that your OS does not detect an update for the driver, you can try to go to the developer's official web page and download the latest updates.
3. Use Device Manager Tool
Sometimes installing a high definition audio device can help get rid of the error Failed to Play Test Tone error. Follow the detailed step-by-step instructions below.
- Open Device Manager and select your audio driver.
- Right-click on it and go to the Update driver tab.
- Click on the value Find Drivers on My Computer.
- Then click on the Allow Me to Select From a List of Device Drivers on My Computer tab.
- In the proposed driver catalog, you need to select High Definition Audio Device.
- Click on the Next tab and confirm your actions by clicking on Yes.
Windows 10 includes a utility called Sound Troubleshooter.
- Press the key combination Win + I, the Settings menu will open.
- Go to the Update and Security tab.
- On the left side of the window, click on Troubleshoot.
- Then take a look at the right side of the window and click on Play Sound and then on Run the Troubleshooter.
- The Troubleshooter utility opens. Wait a bit while the Troubleshooter finishes fixing the error.
Now check in the system if the Sound Failed to Play Test Tone problem has been fixed.
An additional solution is to disable sound effects. Typically, most sound cards are sold with some software that produces different sound effects. It is not uncommon for such sound effects to result in a Windows Failed to Play Test Tone message. Try to disable them by following a few simple steps.
- Launch the Sound Settings app and go to the Effects section.
- Click the Disable All tab. The problem should be resolved.
Need to Roll Back OS Update? Make Sure Your Data is Safe!
Working with information on a personal computer or laptop is definitely associated with the risk of losing it due to a number of problems. These issues can include accidentally deleting files by pressing keyboard hotkeys by mistake, virus and malware attacks, and power outages. This can happen to any user, and that is why it is so important to be on the safe side. The best way to avoid this problem is DiskInternals Partition Recovery.
With the help of such a powerful and effective program, you will definitely cope with the recovery of data of any size and type on any information storage, both external and internal. You just need to download the demo version from the official site of the DiskInternals Partition Recovery developer and start recovery immediately.
Thanks to the presence of three recovery wizards (Partition Recovery Wizard, NTFS Recovery Wizard, and FAT Recovery Wizard), you can recover on most well-known file systems, for example Reiser4, XFS, Ext2, Ext3, and Ext4, HFS, NTFS, ReiserFS, APFS (reader mode), RomFS (reader mode), FAT, ReFS, and UFS. Follow the simple instructions of the application wizard and after a short period of time you will be able to find your lost files. And a special mode of previewing files potentially possible to recover will be a nice addition absolutely free of charge.
Buy a license key and save your valuable data on the device and no longer worry about losing it forever.