No speakers or headphones are plugged in error: how to fix it
Here you will find out:
- what causes the "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" error
- how to fix this error
- how DiskInternals Partition Recovery can help you
Are you ready? Let's read!
What causes the "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" error?
It's not rocket science: to hear sound from a computer, an audio output device must be connected. Computers come with built-in speakers to play back audio and a jack to connect headphones for personal listening. If you get an error message that reads: "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" and this makes it impossible to hear sounds from your PC, how do you fix this?
How to fix this error
Method 1: Try your speakers or headphones on another computer
First, connect the speakers or headphones to another computer. This should be the first troubleshooting practice to try out and will help to validate whether the cause of the error is coming from your PC or from the headphone/speaker device. Alternatively, if your PC has multiple audio jacks, try using another jack to test the device.
Method 2: Disable and enable your sound card
If you have confirmed that your headphone or speaker is working, then the problem is from your PC's sound card or audio drivers.
- Press Windows Key + R to launch Run and type “devmgmt.msc” or right-click on Start to select Device Manager.
- Select "Sound, video, and game controllers".
- Right-click on your audio drivers and select "Uninstall" or "Disable Device".
- Restart the computer and launch "Device Manager" again.
- If you uninstalled the driver, it should be installed again; but if you disabled it, then right-click and re-enable it.
Method 3: Update the sound card driver
When your sound card driver is out of date, it could cause this error to occur. Updating your sound card driver may help with fixing this error, then. To update your sound card driver, you have to launch the Device Manager.
- Right-click on Start and select Device Manager, or press Windows key + R to launch Run, and then type “devmgmt.msc” into the address bar.
- Double-click the “Sound, video, and game controllers” option, right-click on your audio driver, and select "Update driver".
- Click on "Search automatically for driver update software" to allow Windows to automatically discover the latest version of your driver and install it on your PC.
How to restore deleted files easily
Did you lose or mistakenly delete some files from your PC? DiskInternals Partition Recovery can help to get back those files. It is a one-stop, easy-to-use solution that helps Windows users retrieve deleted data from their hard drives and other connected storage devices. It features a Windows Explorer-like interface and provides three different modes for different recovery purposes.
This software supports ReFS, UFS, HFS, NTFS, ReiserFS, APFS (reader mode), RomFS (reader mode), and many other Windows file systems. DiskInternals Partition Recovery also retrieves media files, documents, and many other file formats. It is arguably the best data recovery software tool you can get.