0x80070002? Fix the error right now!
This article is dedicated to the 0x80070002 error. Here you will find out:
- what is 0x80070002?
- how to fix a 0x80070002 error with Time&Data setting
- how Windows Troubleshooter may help you
- how software Distribution Folder related to 0x80070002 error
- how to cope with the consequences of 0x80070002 error
Are you ready? Let's read!
What is 0x80070002?
During or after a Windows update, something may go wrong and a message like this will appear on your screen:
“An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Errors detected: Code 0x80070002 Windows Update has detected an unknown problem.”
The operating system stops working correctly; it can reboot, but again it will fail. The error code itself may differ in different versions of Windows; for example, for Windows XP, the error code is 0x80070002, and for Windows 10, 8, 7, the error code is 80070002. And if you have never encountered this, such a situation can be scary.
How do you fix the 0x80070002 error?
You can use one of the following methods to fix the 0x80070002 error.
1. Fix a 0x80070002 error with Time&Data setting
It may seem to you that this method is too simple and even ridiculous, but it is not so. Often, it really helps you get rid of code 0x80070002.
In the lower right-hand corner, find and click on Date and Time. In the new window, click on "Change date and time settings". Check if the date and time correspond to reality, then click OK.
Then click on the “Change Time Zone” tab to verify that the data is correct.
In the “Internet Time” tab, click on “Change Settings”. You definitely need to make sure that the “Synchronize with Internet Time Server” tab is checked. If not, correct the situation. Now click "Update Now", then OK. Reboot the computer. Windows Update should work correctly.
If you are running Windows 10, then you will need to change the date and time via the command line.
As you can see, even seemingly trivial things can cause serious problems in a PC.
2. Windows Troubleshooter may help you
If the previous method did not help, you need to visit the official Microsoft website. On the site, find the Troubleshooting application and download it. Run it and it will automatically try to check and fix errors related to Windows Update. After that, you need to restart your computer and re-open Windows Update. Error 0x80070002 should disappear. If this does not happen, read on.
3. Software Distribution Folder & 0x80070002
This method involves deleting the software distribution folder. However, for this you will need to stop temporarily the work of Windows Update. If you don’t, using this method won’t work.
So let's get started!
First of all, disable the Windows Update service.
- 1. Simultaneously press the hotkeys Windows + R.
- 2. In a new window, enter “services.msc”. Then click OK.
- 3. Use the mouse to select Windows Update or Automatic Update for Windows XP.
- 4. Select the startup type "Automatic". Click Start in the service status. Now click Apply and OK.
- 5. Restart the computer.
Second, delete the software distribution folder.
- 1. Go to My Computer / This Computer. Select the disk on which the operating system is installed by double-clicking the mouse.
- 2. Next, open the Windows folder, then locate the software distribution folder and delete it. If necessary, enter an administrator password for confirmation.
Third, restore the Windows Update service.
- 1. Press Windows + R again at the same time, and then type “services.msc”.
- 2. Select Windows Update and click Start.
- 3. Restart the operating system. Go to the Windows Update service and make sure that it works.
4. Cope with the consequences of 0x80070002!
Unfortunately, there are many reasons that can lead to a 0x80070002 error, which can also lead to file loss.
If you are faced with this, do not panic in advance. There is a good and proven data recovery option — special software designed for this purpose. DiskInternals Partition Recovery is a professional software tool that has proven itself through many years of scrupulous work by the company.
This software supports most file systems, including FAT12, ReFS, UFS, HFS, NTFS, ReiserFS, Reiser4, XFS Ext2, Ext3, and Ext4. In addition, DiskInternals Partition Recovery is equipped with a trio of helpers: Partition Recovery Wizard, NTFS Recovery Wizard and FAT Recovery Wizard. Therefore, do not worry if you are recovering data for the first time and do not have any skills for this.
With the free preview function, you will be assured of the quality of the recovered photos, videos, documents, etc. You can also use the free trial version of the program and test its performance. If you suddenly have a difficult problem to be solved or other situation, you can easily contact the DiskInternals support service and be sure you will receive high-quality advice as soon as possible.
There is no doubt that DiskInternals Partition Recovery will recover any information correctly and in the shortest possible period of time.