Solution for RAW partition recovery
In this article, you will find out:
- symptoms&reasons of RAW partition
- how to recover files from a RAW partition
- RAW partition recovery methods
Are you ready? Let's read!
RAW partition? Know the signs!
- You receive a message such as: “The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Make sure that all the necessary file system drivers are loaded and the volume is not damaged”; “Sector not found”; “Wrong media type media. Interrupt, Retry, Fail?”
- You see the message: “You need to format the disk before you can use it. Do you want to format it?” whenever you open a disk in Windows Explorer.
- You cannot use CHKDSK and receive a message like this: “The file system type is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.”
- The file system is defined as RAW.
In all these cases, you cannot open the partition and you do not have an opportunity to take any actions with the logical disk.
But still, you can recover a RAW partition! But let’s read about everything you need to know.
Why a partition became RAW
It is necessary to figure out what could lead to the RAW partition in order to avoid it in the future.
- Bad sectors & file system.
If the file system is situated on the hard drive close to a bad sector (or situated on the bad sectors), that may lead to corruption of the file system and the appearance of a RAW partition.
- The cable problems.
The fault may be caused by a damaged or broken hard drive cable. This is extremely rare and mostly occurs in external hard drives.
- Sudden power failure.
For example, the logical disk worked, performed tasks, and suddenly the computer turns off due to a power blackout. This kind of situation can damage the file system and, consequently, lead to a RAW partition.
- File system change.
An improper file system change may create errors, leading to the RAW partition.
- Virus attack.
Disks can be damaged by other malicious systems. Viruses can lead to a system crash, file encryption and RAW partitions. Therefore, it is rational to use good antivirus software to protect your data and periodically check your computer for possible threats of viruses.
All these reasons are very serious and you should try to avoid them in the future. But now it is time to deal with the RAW problem that you already have.
RAW partition recovery is real!
The first thing you need to do is to recover files from the RAW partition, because reformatting will cause all your data will be lost. Special software will help you to recover RAW partition files easily. There is no need to hurry, because the quality of the result depends first of all on the choice of a tool for Windows RAW partition repair.
Let's consider the best one!
The best RAW partition recovery software
The best professional software for all kinds of hard and logical drives troubles is DiskInternals Partition Recovery. This program supports the following file systems: FAT12, ReFS, UFS, HFS, NTFS, ReiserFS, Reiser4, XFS, Ext2/3/4, etc.
The software can recover files from RAW partitions of any size and amount. DiskInternals Partition Recovery works under Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Vista and other versions.
You can use the preview function of the files for free before restoring it. So, you be sure that your data can be recovered completely and efficiently. Only if you want to save the recovered files from RAW partition do you need to purchase a license for this product and enter the license key.
There is a free trial version of this program. Download it and you will see everything described above. Below, for clarity and convenience, are step-by-step instructions for RAW partition files recovery.
Guide: recover files from a RAW partition with DiskInternals Partition Recovery
- 1. Download and install DiskInternals Partition Recovery.
- 2. The recovery wizard will ask you to select the drive or partition.
- 3. Select the recovery mode: full (recommended), fast, or reader. In the full recovery mode, you need to select the file system that was there before it became RAW (it’ll be detected automatically, but you need to put a check on it).
- 4. Next, the scanning process will begin. It takes some time, depending on the size of the logical disk.
- 5. Preview. After scanning is done, you will see a list of recovered files and folders. Right-click on the file and select "Preview in New Window".
- 6. RAW partition files recovery. To recover files, you need to select the desired files and click on the red cross named “Recovery”. Select the location (not the RAW partition!), and after that, you will be prompted to purchase a license. Enter the license key and save your files.
RAW partition repair methods:
As long as you have your files back from a RAW logical drive, you can safely fix it.
Chkdsk is not always availabe for RAW partition, so you can try to use diskpart method to restore RAW partition into real file system (read "Action 6" in the link).
Another way, you can use Disk Management as Windows RAW partition repair tool, that make from RAW NTFS, FAT or exFAT file system (read "Action 4" in the link).