What To Do If You Cannot Extend Volume
Here you will find out:
- why you can't extend volume
- what you need to do before you start extending volume
- when DiskInternals can help you
Are you ready? Let's read!
How to find out that you can't extend volume
When the disk partitions are not divided correctly and properly, there will not be enough space as the information accumulates in the partitions. This will naturally affect the computer's performance as a whole, in which case, you should find out if you can expand the partition and get rid of this problem.
To do this, in Disk Management, you need to right-click on the corresponding section. From the list, select Expand Volume. If a message appears on the monitor screen that this action is not available (disk management can't extend volume), you will have to look for alternative ways.
Reasons behind it
The reasons why you can’t extend partition are simple and often “lie on the surface”:
- Not enough free space on a disk or a specific partition is not a continuous unallocated space.
- The exact section you want to expand is FAT, and this is a direct contraindication for expanding using Disk Management. In this case, you can simply convert the partition to NTFS in any way convenient for you and try to expand the partition once again.
Before you start extending volume
In any case, before expanding the section, you need to take care of the saved data, since there is a high probability that they will be damaged and lost. For this purpose, use DiskInternals Partition Recovery, a universal and professional application that recovers 95% and higher of data. Keep in mind that by downloading this application, you still get the opportunity to create a disk image for free. This unique and incredible offer is a bonus for customers.
The application's mechanism is based on a deep scan of each disk partition and the ability to convert the file system for maximum results. DiskInternals Partition Recovery recovers all files of any size in a small time frame. Here, you can use the Recovery Wizard; it will make the whole process automatic and as simple as possible. After scanning, you will have the opportunity to see any of the search results in reading mode for free. This incredible feature is proof that this application is devoid of pitfalls. In the end, you will be asked to buy a license to export data to your chosen source of information. Do this, and the data will be incomplete protection and security.
Can't extend volume? Here’s the solution
In order to manage to expand the partition in Disk Management, you need to follow a few recommendations:
- 1. The computer should have enough free space to expand the partition. Therefore, try to delete an empty or useless partition. In the field of this, you will already have more chances to correctly expand the section.
- 2. Another recommendation: delete the partition immediately after the volume you want to expand. The logic of this is as follows: unallocated space should be immediately behind the volume partition that needs to be expanded. Otherwise, you will not succeed - the “Expand Volume” parameter will be grayed out.
Now, boldly try to re-expand the section, everything should work out.