Having hard drive error code 2000-0142? You can fix it!
This article is dedicated to the 2000-0142 hard drive error code. Here you will find out:
- the reasons of the 2000-0142 hard drive error
- your algorithm of deeds in case of this error
- how Partition Recovery can help you
Are you ready? Let's read!
What is error 2000-0142?
Error code 2000-0142 is a serious problem for your computer. You are unlikely to be able to boot the computer, and if you can, then only for a short period of time. All this is due to the fact that ePSA cannot correctly read information from the hard disk for any reason. In this case, the OS will try to deal with this problem, but in more than 90% of cases, it will be in vain.
The 0142 error mostly occurs on Dell computers.
Error code 2000-0142 occurs due to the following reasons:
- Loose SATA connection cables
- MBR (Master Boot Record) damaged on the hard drive
- Mechanical damage, overheating damage, broken reader head, etc.
As a result, the Dell computer cannot pass DST. DST refers to a specific hard disk check process. And if, at this time, any errors are detected, this test will not pass and the system will not be able to boot.
And, remember, error 0142 needs to be dealt with very quickly, because the hard disk could be lost forever.
What to do first
First, check the SATA cables. This is the most common cause for the error. If you can do it, check the SATA cables yourself. If not, then you need to turn to professionals or highly skilled amateurs. If something is wrong with your SATA cables (for example, you see "burned" contacts), you need to replace them with the originals and the problem will be solved.
If your SATA cables are fine, then look for a solution to your problem below.
What to do next
Now let's deal with the DST test in more detail.
- 1. As mentioned above, this is a hard disk test that occurs when the system boots. It is carried out by the built-in utility and, if all is well, the OS boots. Otherwise, you have no guarantee that the hard disk is capable and can be used further. Here are some test result options.
- 2. DST test passed. You will see this message on the monitor screen if the hard disk has passed the test. You can continue to work on the computer.
- 3. Test failed. This error message indicates that the hard disk has serious problems. Sometimes, some antiviruses can trigger an error message during the DST test.
- 4. Test other versions. If, for some reason, you do not trust the results of the DST test, you can choose an alternative option. For example, if you use Seagate HDDs, you can download a special program from the official Seagate website. It checks for ATA, SATA, USB, 1394, SCSI, etc.. Recheck the test results; there may have been initially incorrect results.
Save your data as soon as possible
If the problem has not been solved by the SATA cables or the test DST, you can see that the test is not passed — you need to save your files, as other methods for correcting error code 0142 will result in the loss of all data, or some of it.
Use for this DiskInternals Partition Recovery, the best professional software application for failing hard drives for many years. The application supports the following file systems: FAT12, ReFS, UFS, HFS, NTFS, ReiserFS, Reiser4, XFS, Ext2/3/4, etc.
It also restores all file types (music, photos, videos, documents, etc.). The volume of recoverable data can reach up to 1 PB, unlike other similar programs. Use the free trial version, and you will be convinced that DiskInternals Partition Recovery will completely return all your data, and still be pleasantly surprised by many free additional features; for example, the preview function before restoring and saving information.
After your important information is stored in another safe place, it's time to get rid of Dell error code 0142 with more radical methods.
Run CHKDSK utility
Use the built-in utility CHKDSK. This is a great tool for checking and correcting disk errors. But, there are two things to remember:
- 1. The error won’t be solved totally. It will only help for some period.
- 2. Unfortunately, this method can spoil your recoverable data by cutting them into small pieces of 512 KB. That is why, before using it, you need to restore data with DiskInternals Partition Recovery.
Make your choice
There are two options: you can reinstall Windows on your computer, or you need to replace the hard drive. Almost always, this error is serious (if the DST test fails), and a normal reinstallation of Windows is unlikely to drastically change the situation, but may help for some small time period.
Therefore, it is better to replace the hard drive and forget about the problem of error code 0142 forever. But it's up to you all the same.