How to fix “Windows Update cannot currently check for updates” issue
Here you will find out:
- what to do if “Windows Update cannot currently check for updates” issue appears
- how to fix this issue
- how DiskInternals Partition Recovery can help you
Are you ready? Let's read!
If the “Windows Update cannot currently check for updates” issue appears
It is not obvious that users of Windows frequently encounter one error message or the other when they attempt certain actions. If you’re faced with the “Windows update service not running” error message, there are a few ways to get around the situation and fix things up. Usually, this error is encountered when trying to update Windows 7.
How to fix this issue
Method 1: Remove your Windows Update History
The first hack to try for fixing the “Windows 7 update service not running” error is to clear the Windows update history and reboot the computer afterward. Certain files saved in the “Software Distribution” may be the cause of this error message; if the files in this folder get corrupted, Windows Update may not run straightforwardly. To clear/remove the content of this folder, follow the steps below.
- Hold down the Windows Key on your keyboard and at the same time, press R – this will launch the Run box.
- Enter this command and hit the Enter button: services.msc
- Look out for Windows Update from the list; right-click on it and select “Stop”.
- Now go to File Explorer.
- Open your Local Disk (C:) and go to the Windows folder.
- Delete the files inside the Software Distribution folder.
- Return to the Services page, right-click on Windows Update and start it again.
- Reboot your PC.
Method 2: Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Thanks to the various troubleshooting tools built into Windows, it is easy to troubleshoot and fix the most common issues encountered while using the operating system. The Windows Update troubleshooter is likely to help in getting you out of the “Windows Update cannot currently check for updates” error.
- Click the Search bar/icon on the taskbar and type Troubleshooting.
- Choose the relevant option from the search results.
- Click on “Fix problems with Windows Update” and follow the prompts to complete the process.
- Restart the PC and try updating again.
Method 3: Update the RST drive
Another possible cause of this error is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) driver, which may be outdated, missing, or corrupted. Hence, you should go into the Windows drivers page (Device Manager) and update the driver, or search the official Intel website for the most recent driver for your Windows version.
Method 4: Turn off your Windows Update
Some people have fixed the “Windows 7 update service not running” by simply turning off Windows Update. Turning off Windows Update on different versions of Windows may differ. However, for older versions, follow the steps below:
- Search for “Windows Update” and click on the first (settings) result.
- Go to “Change Settings” and then navigate to “Important Updates”.
- Check “Never check for updates”.
- Click “OK”.
Recover lost partitions easily
Did you mistakenly delete some partitions on your PC? Or are you discovering that some partitions on your hard drive are missing/corrupted? Well, there’s nothing to worry about: DiskInternals Partition Recovery will help you to get back those lost or corrupted partitions with everything that’s saved inside.
DiskInternals Partition Recovery is an advanced partition recovery tool that works efficiently on all Windows versions. It is also compatible with all major file systems, and includes a built-in Recovery Wizard for simplified recovery. This software is distinctive, intuitive, and easy to use for retrieving lost Windows partitions.