Steam won't open? Fix it now!
Steam is the most famous gaming platform on the web that allows users to buy and download a huge number of video games. However, sometimes it happens that there is no way to open a platform based on Mac Catalina or Mac Big Sur. In such an unpleasant situation, clearing the configuration, reinstalling the software, changing the application settings can help.
In this article you will find out:
- how to deal with Steam won't open issue
- how to protect your data
Are you ready? Let's read!
Here are few methods that can be helpful and any of them can be your solution.
1. Command prompt
First of all, the command line will help you deal with the problem of opening steam since it is used to install the steam application update. Follow the instructions below step by step:
- press the key combination Windows Key + R, and the Run window will open. Alternatively, by clicking on the Microsoft icon in the lower-left corner of the screen and typing Run in Cortana in the line, and pressing the Enter key;
- in a new command line window type steam://flushconfig and press Enter;
- the steam message window will open immediately. Click Ok to apply the changes.
2. Use Safe Mode
Did the previous method help you? Don't be discouraged, and try changing your computer's settings to start in Safe Mode. By logging in this way, your system will only work with previously installed software, which can help if your OS contains programs that prevent the Steam application from opening. Then it will be easier to find such a program and restrict its work.
- Go to the Windows menu as shown in the previous method.
- In the line, type System configuration and press Enter.
- In a new window, go to the Downloads section.
- Pay attention to the lower-left panel of the Downloads section, and select the secure boot option.
- Click on Safe Boot and click on Network. Do not forget to take care of the presence of the Network, as the Steam platform cannot work without the Network.
- Close all dialog boxes and restart the system. When turned on again, the system will boot in safe mode.
3. Update app
In the event that the previous steps were unsuccessful, you must reinstall the Steam platform. This is the last resort as it will take you a long time to reinstall the platform and download the games themselves. The good news, however, is that you don't need to re-spend money to buy games as they are linked to your account in the Steam app.
Of course, there is a way to avoid the lengthy process of re-downloading games. You just need to move the steamapps directory containing your games to another directory on your hard disk before reinstalling. Once you are done with this, uninstall steam, and also completely remove the place of the previous installation of the platform. Now reinstall Steam, and when the process is complete, move the steamapps folder back to the steam directory.
Make sure your data is safe!
It is a big problem to unintentionally delete the data you need from various devices. It's a pity, how much time and effort wasted. But you shouldn't opt-out. It is recommended to not perform unnecessary actions in the form of copying and creating new files in the system directory where your valuable data was located. Immediately begin the recovery process.
A lot of software has been created that allows you to recover deleted or damaged files. But perhaps the best of them is DiskInternals Partition Recovery. The program allows the user, even with minimal knowledge of computers, to recover files of any size and type in just a few clicks. So, after downloading and running DiskInternals Partition Recovery, we will begin the recovery process.
To start, select the location on the storage medium of the lost file. By the way, many varieties can act as a carrier, for example, HDD, SSD, flash drive, external hard drive, memory cards, IDE disk, SATA disk, SCSI disk, etc. Next, you need to choose a way to scan the system and there are three of them, depending on your preferences. The quick scan mode will not keep you waiting long and the program will conduct a superficial quick scan of the system directory. Or select full scan mode.
Please be patient, the program will perform a deep and thorough disk check and display the most complete information about the files that were previously deleted. Reader mode will help you open damaged partitions on disks. Now, wait for the end of the scanning process. As a result, the program will show you a list of files available for recovery for absolutely free.
Have you decided to save them on your disk? It is enough to purchase a license key and save the files in a convenient safe place.